Monday, October 24, 2011

How Soon Is Too Soon For Christmas Music

If you've ever listened to me on the radio for more than a few days over the past 30+ years (and that could have been anywhere from Wheeling, WV, Long Island, NY, Louisville, KY, St. Louis, MO or here in the ATL) you know I have two seasonal passions:  baseball and Christmas.  My philosophy is that there are only two seasons, baseball season and Christmas season.  And when one ends, the other begins.  So at my house the World Series is a big deal for two reasons, it's the highlight of the baseball season, and it signals the beginning of Christmas season.  The day after the Series ends I start playing Christmas music at my house.

Yes, I realize that may be a tad early for some folks.  But for me Christmas music is some of the best music ever written, and it seems a shame to only enjoy it one month out of the year.  However, that doesn't mean that I'm in favor of rushing the commercialization of the season.  I understand how important the Christmas shopping season is to the economy, but come on--Christmas displays in the stores before Halloween?  What's you opinion?  Are retailers rushing things a bit?  What about radio stations (J93.3 included) going all Christmas music--how soon is too soon and how much is too much?  Comment on the J93.3 Face Book page, in the comment section of this blog below or call in during the Morning Show tomorrow.


Fox Fever Run Results
Saturday morning I was at Fox Fever Run at Oak Hill Baptist Church in Griffin.  I'd say "bright and early" but we were out there for a live broadcast long before it was "bright". 

We were at Fox Fever Run before the sun showed up.
We got to meet quite a few listeners and runners.  One of those runners was 13-year-old Jordin Mitchell.  I talked with Jordin before the 5K run and she told me she planned on winning it this year.

Jerry and Jordin, before the start of th 5K.
Not only did Jordin place 1st among all female runners, but she finished 8th overall out of 147 runners with a time of 24:32.  That's 3.11 miles in just over 24 and a half minutes.  That averages out to UNDER 8 minutes per mile!  You can check the results of the 5K here.

Jordin called in this morning.  In case you missed it, or you want to hear it again, here's that conversation.
Jordin-5K winner-edit by Jerry Williams

More "Your Choice" Tickets & Tunes
We're continuing the "Your Choice" Family 4-Paks of tickets to any one of the four concerts in the J93.3 Fall Concert Series.  That includes two shows with tobyMac and Jamie Grace and two shows with Brandon Heath and Brit Nicole.

Chonda Pierce is also on the bill for the concert series with three shows this week.  We're scheduled to have her on the Morning Show on Wednesday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment